Thursday, November 6, 2008

Input Requested

I have had several people ask if they could do more than one round robin at a time. I have been trying to schedule the round robins so that the pieces have to be mailed out at 2 week intervals. That gives the average person enough time to select a piece, tat it, block it, and mail it before they start the next. If everything goes well, if you have a lot of tatting time, if you don't get sick, have an injury or accident, if no one in your family gets sick and needs care, if you don't have fire, flood, or quake, if you don't have to work a lot of overtime, if you don't have to prepare a Thanksgiving feast or have house guests, if you don't shop till you drop for Christmas, if you don't make a whole lot more gifts than you buy because you can't afford to buy much this year, if a thousand and one other things don't happen, then you probably could do more than one round robin at a time. That's a lot of ifs.

You can go in an instant from having lots of time in which to complete your obligations, to having no time at all. Should you run into difficulty in a round robin all of your partners can be informed and things can be re-arranged. But when you are in multiple round robins it means multiple groups are affected.

On the other hand some people may have ample tatting time and if there isn't any impediment they may be well able to tat their projects in less than a week so that they would easily be able to tat the required pieces for more than one group at a time. Perhaps I am being overly cautious. Participating in a round robin is an obligation as well as a pleasure. It is that participants themselves who may need to deal with the fallout of someone participating in multiple round robins at the same time.

When the first person asked about doing more than one round robin at a time I said I didn't think it was a good idea. I plan to keep the round robins going as long as people want to participate so it's not like you have to do everything all at once. However I'm not participating, just organizing these round robins. What does everyone else think?

Current sign ups

Snowflakes in progress
Butterflies in progress

Bookmarks - 4 (if there are no additional sign ups for this group it will be set up as a 4 person group)

Angels - 3 looking for 2 more participants

3D Ornaments

Hearts

Doilies (if requested)

1 comment:

Becky said...

Being one that asked about doing more than one, I guess you know I was interested in that! I have been a part of more than one at a time before, but I think we had a month for each item, so that gave you more time to work with if something came up one month. I think that if someone has been involved in other round robins and was a good participant, than they could do more than one at a time. Of course, I haven't been on the tatting scene in awhile, so I don't have any recent "proof" of my reliability! Although I've started on my 2nd butterfly and the first mail isn't until the 17th!